It is a colorless and volatile liquid, also known as 1,2 dichlorobenzene.
It has a fragrant smell and is flammable. It is insoluble in water, but soluble in alcohol, ether and the majority of organic solvents. O-dichlorobenzene is highly irritating and moderately toxic when swallowed or inhaled. It is combustible in case of open fire or high heat. It can react with strong oxidant. It may decompose and produce toxic corrosive flue gas in case of high heat. It can react with active metal powder (such as magnesium, aluminum, etc.) and lead to decomposition.
It is mainly used in medicine, pesticide and organic synthesis.